Sunday, 18 May 2008

Count our blessings

Kayden's papa was in Shanghai when the earthquake in Sichuan happened. I was engaged at work and when I was back, there was a flickering message on my screen from a colleague based in Beijing. Before I could react, hubby sent an sms to report his whereabouts and that he was safe post evacuation. Phew.........and this was before the various news reports flooded all the information channels describing and showing the degreee of devastation the disaster caused. We are truly blessed here as there are no natual disasters to contend with, except the constant battle with the freaky weather.

Due to work requirements, a number of relatives and close friends are required to travel regionally and internationally and most folks have come to accept it as part and parcel of a job specification. But, I do know that there are some who will prefer to stay rooted at home, as with everything that is nice (e.g. travel), there is always the downside. The hubby is required to travel regularly for work and often than not, it is not an event all of us look forward to....

I kept my fingers crossed that there will no flight delays in Beijing and blessed as we are, he was back on Friday afternoon safely and soundly. As we go about our weekend activities, we should not forget that there are people out there who are suffering. He told me yesterday that he donated blood whilst he was in Beijing and though small it might be, we hope a token sum will help with the massive relief efforts.

No comments: