Saturday, 5 May 2012

清明节2012

Mummy decided that I was old enough to join the clan (21 persons this year) to pay respect to the ancestors during this annual festival. I was not really sure what it all entailed other than the fact that I must never forget my ancestors and it was time for me to visit my maternal grandfather's grave whom I have never met, as well as my great grandparents early on an Easter Sunday (8 Apr 2012).

I did not require any coaxing and was up and ready to go the moment I was roused at 7am.



The troopers gathered at Sin Ming for their first stop (to pay their respects to great great grandma and grandpa) and had breakfast before we made our way to the Lim Chu Kang cemetery. We were lucky as the roads were clear and traffic was smooth! The folks were well-equipped for the trip and although it was hot and sunny, there was no complaint from me as I had my cap, mini fan round my neck, the Ipad and the comfort of the car to return to if I was bored.

There was a convoy of 5 cars and we made 3 stops around the vast cemetery grounds. While the adults set up the offerings, spring-cleaned the area around the tombs and chit-chatted happily, I helped to decorate the tombs with pretty latex flowers specially prepared by the adults. All of us helped ourselves to delicious snacks and cool drinks along the way for all the "hard work". When it came to the burning of offerings, I helped to carry the LCD TV, paper car and stacked the incense paper too.

No comments: